Congratulations, you are about to take a step that has the power to alter the rest of your life!
Applying for a scholarship takes time, thought and planning. Allow at least 2 – 4 weeks to complete the entire application process.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Six of our eight scholarships are exclusive to AACS member schools. The two scholarships that are open to ALL schools with a Cosmetology or Esthetic Program are:
- BEAUTY CHANGES LIVES | COSMOPROF | LICENSED TO CREATE EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP FOR COSMETOLOGY STUDENTS
- BEAUTY CHANGES LIVES | AMAZING LASH STUDIO | ESTHETICS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
|All other scholarships are available to students attending an AACS member school|
- ARE YOU ATTENDING AN AACS MEMBER SCHOOL?
- ALL scholarships require proof of enrollment or proof of current license
- You must be enrolled in your program with a start date prior to winner announcements.
- Check the Scholarship at a Glance Calendar for all dates.
ALREADY ATTENDING SCHOOL:
- Scholarship applications are accepted from all students who have not completed more than 50% of their program. It is required that you are attending school when winners are announced and payment is disbursed.
APPLYING FOR ADVANCED EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS:
- You will need proof of Licensure; Your license must be current. Expired licenses will be disqualified.
The ART OF APPLYING:
Once you decide which scholarship you will apply for and you click apply on the Beauty Changes Lives Website, you will be taken to the Academic Works website, this site is the Scholarship Application Portal. Please note that you can apply for ONE scholarship at a time. If you apply for multiple Beauty Changes Lives scholarships at the same time, you will be disqualified.
The first thing you will do is fill out the general application. Once completed, you will be taken to your selected scholarship. When filling out the general application page you will need to upload the following:
- Proof of enrollment for basic scholarships or proof of licensure for advanced scholarships
- Head shot – Select a photo you are proud of! This is not used in the judging process, but will be used in media announcements. Please upload a high res/jpeg headshot you would be proud to have in Modern Salon. Do not upload a photo of yourself with photoshopped items, for example, cat ears, cartoon hat, etc. The photo should be of your face, hence “headshot” and you should be the only person in it. If you win, your photo is on the Beauty Changes Lives website and is circulated to media outlets with a press release.
- Once you have completed the general application, you will then begin applying for your selected scholarship.
- Scholarship submissions can be done 1 of 2 ways: Please read submission requirements for individual scholarship:
- 3 minute video with a public YouTube URL*
- Inspiration board and 100-word essay
|*Vidal Sassoon scholarships are video ONLY submissions.|
Whether you choose to submit a video or inspiration board with essay, the theme of your submission is your own unique voice. Judging is based on how well you answer the specific question you will find on your selected scholarship page. Each scholarship has a different question.
Judging is done by industry professionals and is anonymous, which means all they see is your submission. The judges are looking for:
- Well defined
VIDEO HELPFUL HINTS:
If you’re submitting a video, provide the YouTube public url/web link to view your video. BE SURE your video does not exceed 3 minutes and that your link works!
You do not need to incur the cost of hiring a professional videographer – there are many free or low-cost options available to you. Some past applicants have used online tools such as: Animoto, WeVideo, Kizoa, Windows Video Maker, among many others. Some applicants have contacted their local university/college’s film department and worked with film students to create their video submission, and some have chosen to use the low cost consultant site Fiverr.com where independent contractors advertise their work to assist with video creation from photos, thoughts and/or ideas. No matter which tool you choose, your passion needs to shine through! Answer the question, construct a clear message and make sure your video is visually appealing:
- Is your Video or Inspiration board memorable; how do you want the judges to remember you?
- Would you want to watch your video?
- Did you answer the scholarship question?
- Include work you have done; hair styles, make-up, shows, etc.
- Put passion and feeling into your response, let the judges know what you are all about!
- Be CREATIVE, have fun, be energetic, show the judges you know what an amazing life changing opportunity this scholarship is, and let them see how your creativity and passion will eventually be reflected in your professional work.
The Beauty Changes Lives Team
Here’s another great inspiration board:
The Team at Beauty Changes Lives