The Darby Project $5,000 Scholarship for LGBTQIA+ Cosmetology Students
The Darby Project: LGBTQIA+ Cosmetology Student Scholarship was created as a GoFundMe effort in February 2022 to honor and celebrate the life of Darby Backes. On behalf of Brian Backes, Diane Backes, Elizabeth Leary and WhiteRoom, we celebrate his legacy by establishing a scholarship in his name that is open to anyone who is identifies as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and is accepted or currently enrolled in a cosmetology program. #thedarbyprojectLGBTQ
Award Amount | # of Recipients
Fall – Two (2) $5,000 Scholarships for Cosmetology Students
Scholarships will be awarded during the Fall 2022 season open from September 1- November 31, 2022.
The Darby Project: LGBTQIA+ Cosmetology Student Scholarship requires the following qualifications to be eligible:
- The applicant must be eighteen (18) years of age or older by the start date of the program at the accredited school/institution.
- This scholarship is open to new or currently enrolled students in a cosmetology program that leads to licensure at an accredited school/institution in the state of New York.
- The applicant must identify as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Complete online application and submit proof of enrollment / acceptance in a cosmetology program an accredited school/institution. You must upload either an enrollment document, official acceptance letter, or progress report from an accredited school
- Submit a 3-minute maximum. YouTube video with a public link answering the following questions:
- Why are you choosing to be a cosmetologist and what makes this career path your passion?
- Darby was passionate about the LGBTQIA+ community and donating his time and craft to giving back. What do you do to support the community and give back?
- Darby had a radiant personality and was passionate about bringing out the beauty in every client. Describe why choosing a career in cosmetology will showcase your personality and how it fuels your passion?